Sunday, April 22, 2007

0 - The Rubik Cube


The Rubik's Cube is a puzzle invented in 1974 by the Hungarian Ernő Rubik. Originally called the "Magic Cube", it was licensed to Ideal Toys in 1980 and won the German award for Best Puzzle of 1980.

Before start solving the Rubik Cube, here are some basics, hints and tips.

The cube has 6 faces, with 6 colors, and 3 kinds of pieces:
- Corner pieces (3 colorful sides);
- Middle pieces (2 colorful sides);
- Axis pieces (only 1 colorful side);

A corner piece can never be moved to the place of a middle or axis piece.
A middle piece can never be moved to the place of a corner or axis piece.
Axis pieces can not be moved (only rotate). They define the face color.

So, if you are trying to fix one face of the cube, remember to check if all the pieces are in the correct position, according to the other axis (faces) colors.

We will solve the cube following a small number of steps, that you have to memorize. Each step is made of several movements that change some pieces in the cube, without breaking what was done before.

1 comment:

PMSS said...

Since my childhood, I tried to solve Rubik's Cube. But due to my lack of inteligence, I could n't solve that.
I realised from experience that I can't solve Rubik's Cube without knowing algorithm to solve it.
Just recently, I solved rubik's cube from the videos I uploaded in the website.
This wesite which is given below is easy to learn for any beginners, who don't have
any idea for solving it.

http://www.solverubikscube.com/